Reception tables are the ultimate statement because EVERY GUEST gets to enjoy them for a much longer time than any other detail at your event and they combine combining both practical and creative details. Here are a few rules of thumb to consider when planning a tablescape for your next event.
1. KEEP IT INTERESTING. Use different shapes, mix + match patterns and textures. Also use layers! Just as you would when getting dressed yourself in the morning, layer your linens and dinnerware to make things more interesting.
2. HEIGHT. Vary the height of items on your table. Using short items such as votive candles with taller items such as candle sticks creates interest for the eye to follow. Keep in mind that while height is important and tall statement pieces can be gorgeous, you want your guests to be able to see each other across the table without too much interference.
3. SIMPLICITY. Sometimes simple is best. You do not want your table to look cluttered. Sometimes all you need is a few simple items displayed properly to make the necessary statement.
4. UNEXPECTED DETAILS. Include things such as favors, succulents, personalized notes or custom napkins to make it unique and most memorable.
5. RULE OF THREES. Grouping items in sets of three, five, seven etc. creates visual tension and keeps your eye moving. Believe it or not your table will actually look more balanced when grouping in odd numbers instead of using pairs.